Thursday, 24 June 2010

Should Tutsis fear of a Hutu President in Rwanda or not?

Netters,

allow me today to be a bit stubborn and ask a crazy question: "Should Tutsis fear of a Hutu President in Rwanda or not?"

This is a genuine question and please if you would like to share your ideas, do so in the respect of my opinion. I am not a Kagame supporter nor anyone's supporter! I am just a genocide survivor willing to survive!

I would be lying if I say that I did not enjoy the fact that Kagame (a tutsi) has been the President of Rwanda for some years now.

During the after-genocide period, I managed to finish my high school studies and got a scholarship for university from which I graduated from few years ago. I would be unfair if I don't say that this was not a priviledge like it used to be in this country, indeed Didier, a neighbour whose father killed my relatives graduated in the same year (with a government scholarship too).

When I go to the sector office for any service, nobody can dare throw me out and tell me 'wa gatutsi we' like it used to be in the past! And when I go to enjoy a good and cold Mutzig (I really enjoy it by the way), I don't enter in bars with my head turned down as my father used to do 20 years or so ago!

I am not saying that 'tout est rose' but that the life I live today is by far different to what my father lived (may he rest in peace).

Then the question is "Should I trust that I would enjoy the same if a Hutu President was in power?"

Yves

No comments:

Post a Comment